Friday, December 10, 2010

Safe Sleep Space

The lovely woman from Safe Sleep Space came this morning, she was here for around 2 hours, and I think that The Daddy and I really got a lot out of it!  Most of the things she talked about are things I already know / do, but perhaps not consistently enough.  She gave more firm guidelines and parameters - e.g. instead of going in to reassure / pat her 'when she seems upset' which is subjective and I never knew exactly, being so caught up in my own emotions, we wait for 'three strong cries in a row'.  Sure enough, as we listened, many of the single strong cries straight away petered back to a whingey sort of mumbly cry, and she was able to settle herself off to sleep really easily.  When we had the three strong cries, I went straight in, gave her a kiss, patted her, waited til she was calm and relaxed again, then walked out.  Repeat.  She never got distressed, and I was amazed how she did, in fact, go to sleep on her own so easily when given half a chance.

So basically the idea is to NEVER let her get upset or distressed, because prolonged distress for a baby is damaging to the brain, not to mention unnatural and cruel.  Rather, as soon as she starts getting beyond a grizzle, we walk in, quickly reassure her (enough to get her quiet and calm again - patting, rocking, shushing etc), then say 'good night' and walk out again.  After a few of these, she went easily to sleep twice today, and at bedtime we didn't even need to go in to her at all!  She chattered, grizzled, and went to sleep on her own all within 15 minutes.

For newborns, I still wholeheartedly believe in the techniques and guidelines put forth by the incredible Pinky McKay, and recommend her book 'Sleeping Like a Baby' as required reading for any pregnant couple / new parents!  Beyond that, I really liked Elizabeth Pantley's 'The No Cry Sleep Solution', and the Safe Sleep Space book is now added to this list.  The books that make me feel sick to my stomach are Tizzie Hall's and Gina Ford's.  Boooo.  I recommend doing some serious research into these self-styled 'baby whisperers' before following their advice.  Google Tizzie Hall Qualifications... See also LINK, LINK, LINK (this last one is a paper on infant mental health). Also be aware that the major medical and paediatric bodies in most countries, as well as the Australian Breastfeeding Association and Le Leche League, have stated that controlled crying or 'controlled comforting' may cause serious damage to the infant brain, as well as impact on short and long term bonding between the baby and its mother.

In other, less controversial news, the baptism dress ARRIVED!  At around 2:30pm today it was delivered!  It is even more gorgeous than I had hoped, the detail and workmanship are impeccable, and the silk quality is beautiful.  The parcel included the gown, a bonnet, a bib monogrammed with 'T', and a large silk blanket monogrammed with her initials.

A look at the bonnet (photo taken by the maker):

Also managed to sneak out and get a haircut and blow-wave with the fabulous Deslie at Tremayne, and while I was there enjoy a nice slow cup of tea and some biscuits.  That always puts me in the best of moods!  And then this evening The Daddy put Tabitha off to bed while I had a read in the bath.

Good night!

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS