Our last week of the trip was spent in Washington, DC. Our trip was actually cut short a couple of days, as we had to fly home early due to a family illness back home, so we only had 4 days in DC instead of 6. Nonetheless, we managed to cram in a fair amount! DC is such an interesting place to visit - full of images we are so familiar with (the Capitol Building, the White House, Lincoln Memorial etc), which are strange to see in real life. Also, DC is home to the greatest overall collections of art and museum artifacts in the United States, with the massive and multi-building Smithsonian, the National Gallery of Art and many others. And - amazingly - nearly every gallery and museum in DC is free to visit!
Here is Tabitha posing in 'the Oval Office':
And trying to climb her way into the White House - the guards did not seem at all concerned. They obviously don't realise what a threat she could be! She would happily cuddle the First Dog, Bo, to death. Her outfit is very '50s American' - a short, puffed sleeve dress, over frilly knickers poking out the bottom, with Mary Jane type shoes.
One of the many squirrels which play on the lawns of the White House came through the fence to visit us! He sat nice and still, posing for a few photographs. He was easily within patting distance - though The Daddy did not allow Tabitha or I to pat him, sadly.
We asked a fellow tourist to take a photo of us in front of the White House - however I don't think she quite mastered the zoom lens. You will have to take my word for it that this is, in fact, the White House.
Here you go - since our photo is a little dodgy, I will share some other family's photo:
Apparently, the FBI Building is the 'ugliest building in DC'. It is a large, boxy concrete structure. Along the concrete slabs, there are small holes drilled out. Why? Because they had planned on covering the building with marble! So they drilled the holes, and then... Nothing. Strange!
At the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History, we saw the Hope Diamond. It is 45.52 carats of deep blue diamond. It is currently in a temporary setting, below. I think that I prefer the classic setting - it will be returned to the classic setting soon, I believe. Legend has it that the Hope Diamond is cursed. We had the great privilege of being escorted around this museum by friends of ours, Russ, Cathy, Reid and Paige. Reid, who is 17, is an incredibly clever cracker, and spends his summers interning at the Museum of Natural History - his special interest is birds.
Reid had some insights into the Museum - would you believe that the Hope Diamond does NOT remain in its high-security glass case overnight? They actually transport it to and from a vault each morning and evening. It seems crazy to me - I feel like it is more dangerous to move it twice a day than to keep it in the one secure place. But, it is true, I am not a security expert, so I'm sure they have their reasons.
The foyer of the Museum contains a simply enormous elephant. No kidding, I nearly fell over backwards when I saw it. I had no idea that elephants (or Hephalumps as i call them, thank you AA Milne) could get so big! This fella could hide me under his ear for safe keeping. Behind him, you can see the incredibly beautiful museum building. The Daddy and I were so impressed by all of the actual museum and gallery buildings in DC - the Natural History Museum and the NGA were two of the most gorgeous spaces we've ever visited. It is simply marvelous that you can visit these places for free - even a visit just to check out the architecture would be worthwhile.
The beautiful Capitol Building. A friend of mine, Sarah, had generously arranged for us to have a guided tour of the building, with a friend of hers who works as a guide. Sadly, because our trip got cut short, we were not able to. Next time!
We went to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. I must admit, I am not really 'into' planes and rockets, so I sat and played with Tabitha (that is, chased her around for an hour while she tried desperately to crawl and 'walk' all over the building). The Daddy took dozens of photographs. I'm not really sure what is what, but I've included a few.
Here is a rocket-type object:
Here are some more large metal rocket thingies:
I believe this is the 'Moon Lander' or the 'Lunar Lander' or something:
This I know - this is the original Wright Brothers airplane!
From the Air and Space, we went to the Smithsonian Museum of American History, which is my favourite. On display are dresses and accessories from each of the First Ladies. Even if they didn't belong to First Ladies, the collection is a fascinating piece of fashion history. Did you know that many of the First Ladies were not, in fact, wives of the Presidents? There were many daughters and nieces, and other close women.
Here is one of Jackie Kennedy's gowns. It is beaded yellow silk, with a fine organza overlay covering the beading, then belted with a yellow satin sash.
In contrast, here is one of Martha Washington's dresses. She was such a tiny thing!
And in contrast, yet again, a flapper-style first lady number. This would not look out of place on a couture catwalk today:
Look at the pleating and work in this dress. I spent ages admiring it - so many tiny tucks, beading, pleating, lacework, steel structure and draping:
Here is an interesting comparison, between the 50s and the 60s, and the radical changes which took place. On the left is a (beautiful) classic 50s gown belonging to Mamie Eisenhower. It is full-skirted, tight-waisted, low-cut through the bust, and incredibly feminine: pale pink, covered in sparky beads and crystals, with tulle draping around the bust. Next to it, from just a few years later, stands one of Jacqueline Kennedy's gowns. A classic 60s number - a straight column skirt, high, square neckline, some geometric details, and a very contemporary top - chiffon loosely draped over the entire torso, creating a shape which is the antithesis of the 50s corseted gowns. Both dresses feature silk satin, sparkly beading and sheer tulle/chiffon draping, and both are in pastel colours, yet they are so different:
Pat Nixon's gown, below, was deliciously glitzy, and has aged well - this one would look right at home on a red carpet today:
Here is Michelle Obama's dress from the inauguration. It is far more interesting and detailed in real life than I remember it being. One of the fun parts of this display is seeing what size each of the First Ladies were. Some were short and wide, very grandmotherly. Others were so tiny, with such diminutive waists, that you could hardly imagine them standing up. Michelle Obama is just so, so large! Not fat (of course!) but her torso, waist and height are incredible. She must be a very imposing woman in real life.
Her shoes were lovely - again, so big!
And here is the jewellery she wore on the night:
At the American History Museum, the original Julia Child kitchen is on display - the actual kitchen from her home, which also served as a television set for many years. I turned green with envy while looking at her collection of copper and cast iron moulds and pans:
Julia Child was a great collector of 'kitchen accessories'. One can imagine the state of her 'second drawer':
Look at this doll house. I would kill to spend an afternoon playing with it! I'm sure Tabitha would have been highly impressed, were she a few years older.
The original 'Ruby Slippers' from the Wizard of Oz. I commented that they are not nearly as shiny as I remember them being - to which Paige (aged 14, and another clever cracker like her brother) replied, "well, I imagine the sequins would have degraded a fair bit over the years". Oh. Yes.
On the left, you can see the 'original' Muppets, including a very rudimentary Kermit. On the right is a more recent incarnation of America's Favourite Frog.
Michael Jackson's hat:
Another famous hat - President Lincoln's!
Here is Paige cuddling Tabitha. Isn't she gorgeous?! The Daddy and I were so thrilled to spend our time in DC with this incredibly generous, clever and hilarious family. It made our trip ten times more fun, and by the time we left, we were scheming with Cathy and Paige, planning our next US trip, involving flying into DC, spending more time looking at the museums, then driving down through the South (Cathy is from Alabama), looking at the plantation mansions in Savannah, eating barbecue and soaking up the Southern lifestyle. Hopefully soon! In the meantime, we just need to convince them to come visit us in Australia...
PS. Sadly, I did not take my camera (it was the last day, and it was already packed!) but on the last day, Russ and Cathy took us to brunch at the most fascinating hotel in the world! The Mansion on O Street. I could not hope to communicate to you how awesome it is - think secret passageways, hidden tunnels, signed photos and guitars from the Beatles and other rock royalty, hundreds and hundreds of items of memorabilia throughout the rooms, and everything in the building (down to the sinks, ashtrays and sweaters in the closets) is for sale. Apparently, it's not that well known in DC - if you are ever in the area, book yourself in for breakfast or brunch, after which you are free to explore the entire building at your leisure.
































No comments:
Post a Comment