Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Maternity Clothes

Becoming pregnant can be sartorially daunting - maternity clothes tend to be unflattering, overpriced, and made of nasty fabrics.  My entire maternity wardrobe consisted of:

  • A very flattering white shirtdress that tied at the back (I still wear this, it is good for breastfeeding, and people are always surprised when I reveal it is 'maternity wear').
  • An identical shirtdress in a navy pinstripe.
  • A 100 per cent silk long-line top in a beautiful blue and white swirly print, which tied at the back to add some shape and definition (wore this with leggings, jeans, and a tight black pencil skirt).  Here is a photo in the top - although it is not the top at its best, worn with jeans, rubber thongs and messy hair at the beach:


  • A really brilliant Isabella Oliver wrap top.  I bought this in black AND purple, and wore them both to death - with jeans, and the black one worn with a fitted black skirt and heels was an excellent substitute for a Little Black Dress.  I wore the black one with lots of colourful Hermes, Pucci and Missoni scarves, and always felt well put-together.  These tops were also brilliant in the first couple of months post-partum - they wrap to fit the body, so will fit perfectly no matter what state your midsection is in, and they are just so easy to breastfeed in.  Here I am in the black wrap top, with a non-maternity stretchy tight skirt, at my godfather's 50th birthday:

  • Maternity jeans - I bought two pairs (one straight leg, one skinny), both by Maternal America.  These fitted so brilliantly, and were dead comfy.  So many people commented, "wow I can't believe you're still in jeans!!" not realising that they were maternity jeans.  Little comments like this are lovely to hear when you've gained 20kg!
  • A loose, oversized t-shirt style jersey dress in blue and white stripes.  It wasn't the most flattering piece in the wardrobe, but was so comfortable and fitted well from week 8 to the very end.  I wore it with leggings.
  • Speaking of which - I bought three pairs of good quality maternity leggings.  Great decision, I don't think you can truly understand how bloody uncomfortable most clothes are until you are actually pregnant!
  • I bought a lovely blue slinky jersey dress from Isabella Oliver for my baby shower.  It made me feel pretty and toned and curvy and was worth every cent - I also wore it to a couple of weddings at the end of the pregnancy.  Here I am with a friend at my baby shower.  Sorry, you can only see the top of the dress, but trust me that it is lovely.  I am 38 weeks pregnant here:

  • I also bought a fairly unattractive red print dress.  I don't know why - I was getting desperate for clothes I could wear to meetings (my clients were surely getting sick of seeing me in the same two shirtdresses!), and it seemed okay in the store.  In reality, it made me feel fat and my arms look like giant sausages.  I didn't wear it much!
I also picked up a couple of non-maternity pieces:  some denim shorts, a nautical jersey t-shirt, a pretty crepe kaftan, a Ted Baker empire-line dress that I managed to squeeze into for the first few months.  These items were useful, but I cannot overemphasise how important comfort becomes towards the end, and if nothing else, maternity clothing tends to be designed for comfort.

I didn't discover Isabella Oliver until more than half way through the pregnancy, which is a dreadful shame -  I probably would have bought almost all of my maternity wardrobe from them if I had come across it earlier.  If you know any pregnant women, please direct them to the their website!

Because I am tallish, clothes that fitted fairly close to the body were generally most flattering during pregnancy - anything vaguely voluminous made me look like a circus tent.  More petite girls seem to get away with loose shift dresses and trapeze dresses over leggings.

I also bought lots of nice maternity underwear - mostly from Cake and Hot Milk.  This is useful in avoiding feeling like a frumpy beached whale.

One of my most beloved maternity buys was, in fact, a non-maternity nightgown from Country Road.  Over summer, it was all I wore around the house, and felt perfectly comfortable no matter how enormous I became.  Here it is - I'm around 34 weeks here.  You can see our decking, half-built, in the background.  We had renovations (decking and wardrobes) going on almost until D Day.  I do not recommend this.  Doesn't it look like I have a full sized beach ball in there?!  Tabitha was a regular sized baby, around 3.5kg.  Which means I put on roughly 16.5kg of non-baby weight!


Sigh.  Looking through these photos, I am looking forward to being pregnant again.  Despite feeling mighty uncomfortable for most of the time, and dreadfully ill for the first few months, it was still, overall, a wonderful time.  I was in complete awe over just what the female body is capable of.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post reminds me of about 30 years ago when all pregnant women wore those big baggy dresses, that basically hid everything. At least they all kind of looked the same. There wasn't many looking more stylish that the others. But they were probably a whole lot more comfortable, lol.

Cheers,
Lisa x

Anonymous said...

About the 1950's magazines, I know she has more at the shop. If you'd like me to get some for you I'm more than happy to. She sells all of them for $8.00. I was quite surprised.

Miss Kitty-Cat said...

What a great post!! I love the Isabelle Oliver stuff. It's so stylish! When it comes my turn I am definitely going to be heading there for some purchases. It looks right up my alley.

After your comment about the top 10 lists that I do I was thinking about doing one on maternity clothing. I don't actually have any experience but I thought I'd interview all my friends who are either pregnant or who have had kids for their viewpoint to see what worked for them and what brands are the best. Would love to hear your thoughts beyond what you have posted here!

Oh - and I loved this post so much I think you should do another one on all the things you bought for Tabby: things that were useful and things that were a complete waste of money. I always love hearing stuff like that because if you are newly pregnant and have no experience you have no idea where to start. I think your readers would find it very helpful!

Long winded comment...

K xx

The Mummy said...

Haha we are both such List Women! Would you believe this wasn't meant to be a proper post - I was going to write a list of clothes that are useful AFTER the baby comes, but I got carried away on my 'intro' about maternity clothing.

I would be thrilled to pass on my other thoughts when you do a post - I have advice for tall women. Figure-hugging is your friend!!!

I will certainly do a post on useful things for Tabby - clothing and also baby gear. Great idea!! And I will get around to finishing my post on useful clothing for after the baby comes.

I think you should dress your baby ONLY in leopard print. Can you imagine?! Tee hee!

xxx

The Mummy said...

Lisa - you know, in some ways the maternity clothing of Yesteryear was spot on. Loose, comfy and practical. But I do think it would have made me look just enormous!

You are so kind re. the magazines!! I am sort of on a 50s paraphernalia BAN at the moment though - we are moving into a much bigger house at the end of the year though, and it will be Back On. I had to get rid of twelve 50s and 60s hats when I cleaned out for the baby :(

Miss Kitty-Cat said...

Lisa - when you posted that comment of how women dressed 30 years ago it reminded me of pictures of Princess Di when she was pregnant with William and those drop waisted dresses with the massive collars. We have come a long way since then haven't we??

Clothing and baby gear would be fabulous. There are so many options out there I'd find it quite confusing to know what you actually need I think...

All leopard print hey? I found this the other day and it made me laugh so much. I wanted to buy it - just in case - but Mr K rolled his eyes... http://www.urbanbaby.com.au/epages/ecomm5000.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/UrbanBaby/Products/NDO-L/SubProducts/NDO-L-0003 They also do ladybugs and moo cows!! Want to dieeee!!!!

The Mummy said...

Yes every time I think of unflattering maternity wear, Princess Di comes straight to mind!

That suit is too cute! Meanwhile, my mother is trying to get me to buy Tabitha a polar bear outfit from Pumpkin Patch... I'm thinking not...

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS